Monday, September 16, 2013

Priceless

I have a confession. As I've mentioned, I waited for three years before receiving a phone call from Canine Companions for Independence that it was time to come get my service dog. Once the call came, though, I got a pit in my stomach. I began to wonder if this was a good idea at all. The embarrassing thought that came into my mind was that having a service dog would be another accessory to add to my arsenal of things that make me look disabled. Already covered: wheelchair (replete with head gear), trach with occasional ventilator, sometimes a brace on my hand. It seemed like a lot for people to take in as is, and adding a dog to this mix felt over-the-top.
Of course I ignored these thoughts, figuring I had waited this long- I might as well go through with it. 
And here's the truth behind the matter: Dash has done the exact opposite of what I feared he would do. He has not added to my "disability accessories," he has detracted from them!
No longer do I hear children in stores asking their mamas what's wrong with me. I now hear squeals of glee and "puppy!" everywhere I go. Not only has it helped children see a dog before they see a wheelchair, it has also helped adults to more comfortably approach me. Often, once I have answered a few questions about Dash, people realize that although I am in a wheelchair, I am the same as anyone else! Dash has helped to bridge a gap that shouldn't exist anyway- that between me as a disabled woman and the rest of the able-bodied world. And I am so grateful.

I waited three years for this gift. And there are many more people waiting for the same. Will you join me in making this free gift possible for others? Click here to help sponsor Team Dash as we walk in this year's DogFest Walk 'n Roll event! It would mean the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment