Sunday, March 22, 2015

A Dream Come True: Is this real life?

Little did I know at the time of my previous post that our trip would be such a whirlwind of fun and adventure (and time change!) that I would not have the energy or words to post daily, as I had planned. But better late than never...

We were greeted by my sweet Aunt Karin upon arrival at her and my uncle's house in Scottsdale. We immediately felt right at home, including Dash, who made a beeline for the sun-covered patio.
Another example that Dash and I are a perfect match: We both adore sunbathing! 

After a tour of their incredible house, we spent that first evening eating a delicious meal and talking over all the many things we hoped to do during our week in Arizona. I actually went to bed feeling slightly overwhelmed by all of the things we could possibly do, but could never have time to get in!

Friday morning I woke up to this view and wondered if I was dreaming:


I continued to be in awe as I cast my UGG boots and sweater aside in exchange for TOMS and a t-shirt, and began our first real day of vacation!

After a fun visit from Steve, Helen, and Pluto, we headed off to the Desert Botanical Garden. We were in luck, because the desert was just beginning to bloom - as if it wasn't incredible enough to begin with!


Us Ohioans were all astonished by the varying specimen of cacti - some of them looked as if they belonged underwater, some looked so soft and cuddly that it was hard to resist touching them (but we certainly did resist!), and some looked downright lethal! 

And as he does everywhere he goes, Dash was quick to make a new friend:
Do you see him there? A little ground squirrel was perched on the ledge, just as fascinated with Dash as Dash was with him. I think it thought it was having an Androcles and the Lion moment, and was offering Dash freedom from his leash!

After wandering in the desert for a while, we worked up a powerful hunger ... and need to shop! Thankfully the on-site restaurant is conveniently located on the other side of the gift shop!

Once we got home we retired to our rooms for the night, knowing that Saturday would arrive bright and early with one of the most exciting things on our calendar for the week! Stay tuned...


1 comment:

  1. Lovely to read your stories Emily! Looks like you had a blast in AZ.

    ReplyDelete