Friday, May 24, 2013

The Day that Dash Taught Math Class

Today Dash and I had the opportunity to speak to a high school math class about what it is like to have a disability and how a service dog can be such a life enhancer!
You may wonder why we were invited to a math class, of all things. Well, does this answer your question?
Probably not. So I'll explain! It just so happens that my best friend Emily is a teacher at the high school and her math class has been learning about the PythagoreanTheorem and as a real life example they used it to determine the proper length of wheelchair ramps! Pretty  clever, eh? The math lesson (including this fabulous illustration) lead to a conversation about disabilities and service dogs, which eventually lead to an invitation to visit!
Dash was on his best behavior, laying under a table while the students filed in and waiting patiently while I spoke about living with muscular dystrophy. Finally it was Dash's turn to show off!


Dash jumped up as soon as I called him over, giving me a snuggle and then handing me his leash which had been hanging off of him. While Dash sat next to me and the class had a chance to marvel at how handsome he is, I took a few minutes to explain a bit of working dog etiquette.  I stressed the importance of not distracting a service dog by petting it or offering it treats. Then Dash demonstrated picking up a pen and a credit card, and then doing an "up" on the table to do a mock store transaction. As the piece de resistance Dash flipped a light switch off. I was very proud of how well he did everything. He always does bit it can be nerve wracking with all those people watching (for me more than Dash, I think). 


The students asked some great questions about whether Dash would protect me if I was attacked (nope! I'm the leader in our relationship, ergo I am the protector!), to if he had to have his leash on at home (no way! He's basically a regular dog at home!). 
As class ended a few kids got to shake Dash's paw as they left. True to form, Dash tried to sneak a lick almost every time. Not ideal but overall he did a fantastic job today. We enjoyed our time and hope to have more chances to share with others soon!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I'm so sorry I missed seeing you both!

    ReplyDelete